I like to think I have a few average/above average skills in life (running, dancing, swimming, eating chocolate). Unfortunately, saving money falls nowhere on this list. You can imagine my distress when my fiancé gave me the “we need to start saving money for a wedding” talk.
In his defense, this is the large wedding of my ‘dreams’ and not the courthouse option he proposed. So just like that, I watched more dollar signs dance from my account and into the black hole of wedding savings.
I was feeling rather bummed about the limited number of races I could afford this summer when I received everyone’s favorite spring surprise: the tax refund. Right after this puppy landed in my bank account, I began my race registration extravaganza. I may have had a few bookmarked. Work hard, play hard right?
Here is my new, improved, bigger, badder 2015 race schedule:
- Shamrock Shuffle, Sunday, 3/28: Holy smokes! Less than 2 weeks away!
- Rockdale Ramblin Run, Saturday, 4/11: Their slogan is “Toughest 10K in the Midwest”. Last year, I was joking about this claim, but the first hill shut me up REAL QUICK. Small, well organized and challenging race.
- Team Megan 5K Run, Saturday, 6/6: A sweet teenage girl from my hometown was diagnosed with stage 4 alveolar rhabdomyosarcoma cancer. Proceeds from this run will help support Megan and her family. If you’re interested in learning more about Megan’s journey towards a full recover, visit her dad’s blog. (Just make sure you have a tissue or two. The strength of this young lady is certain to leave you teary-eyed and speechless.)
- ET Batavia Triathlon, Sunday 6/7: Experience Triathlon always puts on a good race. This will be my first Batavia tri, and I’m looking forward to it.
- Esprit de She, Sunday, 6/14: Hey Ladiessss! First time I’ve ever signed up for an all women’s event. This is a sprint triathlon located in downtown Naperville. So close to home, I couldn’t pass it up!
- Racine Ironman 70.3, Sunday, 7/19: Sweet baby Ironman jesus, please let me survive this race.
- Naperville Triathlon, Sunday, 8/2: Loved this race last year, and I’m really excited for round 2.
- Chicago Marathon: Obviously I signed up for the lottery, folks. Now it’s the waiting game, and I’M WAY TOO IMPATIENT. I’m going to blame my nail-biting on my Chi Marathon anxiety. Please hurry, April 28, and put us all out of our misery.
I’m hoping to sneak a few other races in here and there (when I stumble upon some extra moolah that won’t be confiscated by my fiscally responsible fiancé to be used for practical purchases).
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday! Halfway to the weekend. XO